According to homethodology, Elk Point, South Dakota is a small town with a population of just over 1,000 people. The town is situated on the banks of the Missouri River, in Union County. The climate in Elk Point is typical of the Great Plains region, with cold winters and hot summers.
The history of Elk Point dates back to 1876 when it was founded by settlers from Minnesota and Iowa. The city was incorporated in 1905 and has since been known as one of the most progressive cities in the region. Politically, Elk Point leans slightly Republican, though not overwhelmingly so.
The economy of Elk Point is largely dependent on agriculture and tourism. In recent years, several businesses have opened up that cater to visitors from out-of-town, including restaurants, bars and retail stores. The city also boasts several schools which provide quality education for its citizens; these include an elementary school, middle school and high school.
One of the most notable landmarks in Elk Point is the historic Union County Courthouse located downtown. Built in 1906, this two-story building features a classic Greek Revival style façade with a prominent clock tower rising above it. The courthouse has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973 and continues to be an important part of life in Elk Point today.
Additionally, there are many parks located throughout town offering residents plenty of recreational activities such as fishing at nearby lakes or hiking through nature trails. There are also several museums located throughout town that pay homage to local history as well as art galleries that feature work by local artists. With its rich cultural heritage and abundance of outdoor activities available year round, it’s no wonder why many people come to visit Elk Point each year!
Population: 1,714. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,836 (+7.1% change)
Males: 828 (48.3%), Females: 886 (51.7%)
Zip code: 57025
Median resident age: 36.4 years
Median household income: $41,157
Median house value: $81,300
Races in Elk Point:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.8%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (36.3%), Norwegian (15.3%), Irish (12.3%), French (11.2%), English (7.8%), Swedish (6.7%).
Elevation: 1127 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
Elk Point, South Dakota is a small rural town in Union County with a population of 1,800 people. The town is located on the Missouri River and has a rich history of Native American culture. The median household income for Elk Point is $47,000, slightly lower than the state average. The cost of living in Elk Point is also lower than the state average. Housing costs are much lower than other cities in the area and utilities are also reasonably priced. Groceries and healthcare costs are similar to other cities in the region. Property taxes can be higher than other towns due to its location near the Missouri River. Education is provided by Elk Point-Jefferson school district which includes an elementary school, middle school, high school and vocational center. There are also private schools available for those who wish to pursue a different educational path. Overall, Elk Point offers its residents an affordable cost of living with plenty of amenities nearby such as shopping centers, parks and recreational activities. The town has an active community with many local events throughout the year ranging from parades to festivals that bring people together from all over Union County and beyond.
For population 25 years and over in Elk Point
- High school or higher: 83.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 20.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 1.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Elk Point city
- Never married: 19.2%
- Now married: 61.2%
- Separated: 0.2%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 10.3%
1.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +292 (+20.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Elk Point:
- SIOUXLAND SURGERY CENTER LP (about 17 miles; DAKOTA DUNES, SD)
- SIOUX VALLEY VERMILLION HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; VERMILLION, SD)
- ST LUKES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Elk Point:
- SIOUX GATEWAY/COL. BUD DAY FIELD (about 29 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Abbreviation: SUX)
- CHAN GURNEY MUNI (about 52 miles; YANKTON, SD; Abbreviation: YKN)
- JOE FOSS FIELD (about 61 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Abbreviation: FSD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Elk Point:
- AKRON MUNI (about 13 miles; AKRON, IA; Abbreviation: Y40)
- GRAHAM FIELD (about 18 miles; NORTH SIOUX CITY, SD; Abbreviation: 7K7)
- HAROLD DAVIDSON FIELD (about 18 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Abbreviation: VMR)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Elk Point:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 21 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 34 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 41 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 83 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT OMAHA (about 103 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 10,150)
- CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY (about 103 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,806)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER (about 103 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,448)
Public high school in Elk Point:
- ELK POINT-JEFFERSON HI SC (Students: 177; Location: 402 S DOUGLAS ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Elk Point:
- ELK POINT-JEFFERSON ELEM (Students: 382; Location: 500 S FRANKLIN ST; Grades: PK – 06)
- ELK POINT-JEFFERSON JR HI (Students: 134; Location: 402 S DOUGLAS ST; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Elk Point:
- ELK POINT-JEFFERSON COMMUNITY/SCHOOL LIBRARY (Operating income: $38,115; Location: 402 S DOUGLAS; 23,722 books; 376 audio materials; 400 video materials; 100 serial subscriptions)