According to homethodology, Richview, Illinois is a small town located in the heart of the Midwestern United States. It has a population of just over 1,200 people and covers an area of 4.4 square miles. The town is situated on the banks of the Mississippi River and enjoys a humid continental climate with hot, humid summers and cold winters.
Richview has a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1854 by settlers from Germany and Eastern Europe. The town was initially named after one of its first settlers, Richard Richter, but was later changed to Richview when it was incorporated in 1866. It has been an important agricultural center since its founding and has seen many changes over the years.
The political landscape in Richview leans strongly towards conservatism with most residents voting Republican in local elections. The economy is mainly based on agriculture with some light industry as well as tourism being important sources of income for local businesses.
When it comes to education, Richview Public Schools are highly rated and offer a wide range of academic programs from elementary through high school level classes. There are also several private schools located nearby that provide quality education for those who can afford it.
As far as landmarks go, there are several historic buildings that have been preserved throughout the years such as the Old Town Hall which dates back to 1875 and is now used as a museum showcasing artifacts from the area’s past. There is also an old railroad station which was once used by passengers coming in from out-of-town but now serves as a community center for locals to gather at events or simply enjoy some time together. Finally, there is an old windmill which overlooks the town square providing a picturesque view that many visitors enjoy taking pictures at when they come to visit Richview.
Population: 308. Estimated population in July 2020: 291 (-5.5% change)
Males: 157 (51.0%), Females: 151 (49.0%)
Zip code: 62877
Median resident age: 34.3 years
Median household income: $38,125
Median house value: $63,200
Races in Richview:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.1%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (30.2%), United States (14.9%), Irish (12.3%), Polish (11.0%), English (9.4%), Welsh (3.2%).
Elevation: 540 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Richview, Illinois is a small city located in the northwest corner of the state. It has a population of approximately 6,000 people and is known for its rural charm and friendly atmosphere. The median household income is $45,000 and the median home value is $117,000. The cost of living in Richview is relatively low compared to other cities in Illinois. Rent prices are affordable with an average one-bedroom apartment costing around $650 per month. Utilities are also affordable with the average electricity bill being around $100 per month. Groceries are also relatively inexpensive with the average grocery bill being around $200 per month.
The city of Richview offers plenty of activities for residents to enjoy such as parks, trails, and golf courses. There are several community centers located throughout the city that host events such as movie nights and art classes for all ages. Richview also has an active arts community with numerous galleries and art studios located throughout town. The city offers plenty of shopping opportunities from local shops to big box stores like Walmart and Target. Richview also has several restaurants ranging from fast food joints to fine dining establishments for whatever your taste buds desire!
For population 25 years and over in Richview
- High school or higher: 78.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.1%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Richview village
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 55.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 12.5%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -19 (-5.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Richview:
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; CENTRALIA, IL)
- WASHINGTON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; NASHVILLE, IL)
- CROSSROADS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; MOUNT VERNON, IL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Richview:
- MOUNT VERNON (about 24 miles; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Abbreviation: MVN)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS (about 43 miles; CARBONDALE/MURPHYSBORO, IL; Abbreviation: MDH)
- WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL (about 45 miles; MARION, IL; Abbreviation: MWA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Richview:
- CENTRALIA MUNI (about 11 miles; CENTRALIA, IL; Abbreviation: ENL)
- SALEM-LECKRONE (about 24 miles; SALEM, IL; Abbreviation: SLO)
- PINCKNEYVILLE-DU QUOIN (about 31 miles; PINCKNEYVILLE, IL; Abbreviation: PJY)
Amtrak station near Richview:
- 11 miles: CENTRALIA (103 E. BROADWAY). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Richview:
- JOHN A LOGAN COLLEGE (about 43 miles; CARTERVILLE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,255)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY-CARBONDALE (about 47 miles; CARBONDALE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 19,742)
- SOUTHWESTERN ILLINOIS COLLEGE (about 54 miles; BELLEVILLE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 7,333)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY-EDWARDSVILLE (about 59 miles; EDWARDSVILLE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 10,038)
- SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 74 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 10,286)
- SAINT LOUIS COMMUNITY COLLEGE-FOREST PARK (about 77 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,441)
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 78 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Full-time enrollment: 7,227)