Utah State Capitol (USA) – description, history, location. Exact address, phone number, website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos.
According to toppharmacyschools, the main building of the Capitoline Complex, located on Capitol Hill, was designed and built in the neoclassical revival style in 1912-1916. In 1978, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Beginning in 2004, the Capitol underwent extensive restoration; renovation projects were also launched, during which two more were added to the building. But the biggest project of the restoration was to isolate the foundations so that the Capitol could withstand a magnitude 7.3 earthquake. Restoration work was completed only in 2008.
The first settlers arrived on the territory of the future state of Utah in the middle of the 19th century; then the first capitols began to appear here, all rather small and temporary. At the end of the 19th century several influential people and merchants asked the state for a plot of land on what was then called Arsenal Hill, and received it in 1888. But for various reasons, construction was delayed and was not started until 1912. Construction took four years.
The Capitol is decorated with many murals and sculptures, the plots of which are connected with the history and heritage of the state.
The appearance of the Capitol largely copies the appearance of the best examples of classical architecture. When it was built, some local newspapers compared it to the Parthenon in Athens (although this, of course, is too much – the Capitol is not so similar to it). The length of the building is 123 m, the width is 73 m, and the height of the dome is 76 m. Many of the exterior elements can be attributed to the Corinthian style.
Outside, the building is finished with local granite, like many other attractions of the city. The stone facade is symmetrical, and it is decorated with 52 Corinthian columns, each almost 10 m high and 1.2 m in diameter. Inside, there are five floors (including the basement). The Capitol is decorated with many murals and sculptures, the plots of which are connected with the history and heritage of the state.
The first floor of the Capitol is the least interesting: there are the least decorations here, and, in fact, it is one large and rather empty hall. But the ceiling under the rotunda is made of glass and lets in light from the second floor.
On the second floor of the building, which is often called the main one, many historical elements have been preserved. In particular, the internal painting of the dome, which reaches a height of 50 m above the floor. This painting was made by William Slater and depicts seagulls flying among the clouds. The choice of plot was not accidental: the seagull is the official symbol of the state. Below the dome is encircled by a cyclorama with eight scenes from the history of the state (when the Capitol was opened, this place remained empty: the cyclorama was completed only in 1930). Similar paintings adorn the marble arches that support the dome.
The legend of the “Miracle of the Seagulls” says that in 1848 these birds saved the state from an invasion of locusts, for which a monument was erected to the seagulls in Temple Square.
East and west of the dome are two atriums with rows of Ionic columns and balconies. Each atrium has a marble staircase and also a wall painting.
In addition, on the second floor there is a reception room, or “Golden Hall”. It got its name from the extensive use of gold leaf in its decoration. The furniture of the hall was mainly imported from Europe: in particular, here you can see a walnut table made in Russia.
Office space, boardrooms, and the supreme court occupy the third floor of the Capitol. And on the fourth one there are observation galleries of both houses of parliament. When the Capitol was first opened, this floor also housed an art gallery, and today there are several small exhibitions here.
The Capitol can be explored with a 50-minute guided tour or on your own.
Address: 350 North State street, 120 State Capitol.
Opening hours: on weekdays from 7:00 to 20:00, on weekends and holidays from 8:00 to 18:00.